Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Day 9 - Grading


I had a cold all weekend and finally got around to grading Friday's quiz this morning. I'm always amazed at how students solve problems. In this case students had to find the slope of the line that would explain this data set. What I found surprising was this approach to finding the slope. I had four or five different students do this. They totaled up the data in each column then divided one by the other.

I find this interesting because I have no idea why a student would approach this problem in this way. Often when I see several students taking the same approach to solving a problem I can figure out what the thought process was, but in this case I can not. As I type this I realize I should probably ask one of them to explain why they tried this approach. Unfortunately I've already passed the quiz back and I didn't note down the students who did this. In the future when I see something that baffels me about student thought process I need to make a note and then do a quick post quiz interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment